Thursday, June 5, 2014

Semana Santa: last stop Split, Croatia

I arrived in Ancona, Italy with two hours to spare until I needed to catch the ferry to Split, Croatia. I finally found the free shuttle bus to the port where I would purchase my ticket. It turned out the ferry was leaving an hour earlier than I thought, meaning I only had twenty minutes to buy my ticket, get back on the shuttle, and to the ferry. As I waited nervously for the shuttle, the person who was waiting behind me in line to buy his ticket ran outside, kicked off his sandals, and starting running as fast as possible. The next moment, a taxi pulled up. A priest hopped out, ran inside, purchased a ticket, and when he came back out he asked if anyone else was taking the ferry to Split. Before I could even answer and ask for a ride, I hopped in the cab with the priest and another guy. When we boarded the ferry, I told the crew there was another guy coming and they couldn't leave without him. Luckily, we all made the ferry and arrived early the next morning. The sky was overcast and grey, so I chilled at a cafe until the rain subsided. I found my way to my hostel and sat talking with the receptionist about traveling and sailing and good eats until my room was available. 

I wondered around a bit on my way to eat lunch. The city of Split is centered around the ruins of the Diocletian Palace, and it feels ridiculous to even try to put into words the look and feel of the place. The center of the city is full of shops, cafes, restaurants, and bars. But it's also where the Temple of Jupiter and Diocletian's dining room are.  


After lunch I headed back to the hostel to take a nap. I also don't sleep well on ferry boats. I woke up listening to two people talk about how they don't speak English very well. I told them both that I could understand everything they were saying, so they spoke pretty well. I spent the rest of the day with Junko from Japan, Maud from France, and Sofia and Manuel from Germany. We went to see the statue of Gregory of Nin. Apparently if you rub his toe, you'll have good luck.
So rub I did.
We headed up to a park that has a lovely view of the city.
I stole this one from Christopher, another friend I met on this trip.



The next day the sun came out, but unfortunately for me, it was very windy. I had planned to go sailing  but the trip was cancelled. I was really, really looking forward to sailing in Croatia! But everything happens for a reason, right? Instead I took a walking tour of the Diocletian Palace (below is a photo of where some scenes from Game of Thrones was filmed) and shared good food and good conversation with a new friend.


We went to the top of the bell tower. Well, I almost went to the top. The strong wind and my fear of heights got the best of me, but I'm still all smiles.

Another photo credit to Christopher. 
The food, the people, the nightlife, and the history of Split intrigued me to say the least. I only got a small taste, but I'm already making plans to return next year to travel around the country and go sailing. A friend of a friend told me last summer that Croatia was one of her favorite places that she had traveled to, so it's been on my list for a while. And I understand why. You go to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and eat macaroons. You go to London to see Big Ben and eat fish and chips. But in Split, you go to discover what you never knew you were always missing. Portugal made me feel the same way. And I'll tell you more about that trip soon.


2 comments:

  1. Julie! These photos are beautiful. Especially that last one of you! I just love your adventuring so much.

    ReplyDelete