Saturday, May 24, 2014

Semana Santa: second stop Rome, Italy

I have heard numerous times that Italians are either the nicest, friendliest people you will ever meet or liars. I guess it depends on who you are willing to ask. I found the former to be absolutely true during my two and a half days in Rome. I arrived early in the morning on Saturday (note to self: I don't sleep well on trains. But hey night trains save precious sightseeing time), dropped my stuff off at my hostel, and hit the pavement. My first stop was the Roman Forum. And let me tell you, there were so many tourists. I'm surprised I even managed to get a photo without the back of a stranger's head or a goofy smile. 

 Just down the street is the Altare della Patria, Alter of the Fatherland.

The Trevi Fountain. 
 Again, check out all those tourists! I was in good company.
 Then I made my way toward Vatican City and got quite lost. But the view along the way was quite lovely.

 It was Palm Sunday, so everyone was running around, waving their palm branches trying to take a picture of the Pope as he passed by in the Popemobile. It was an interesting experience. I am a bit sad though because the Sistine Chapel was closed. You would think by now I would accept that I can't see everything I want to see in a city like Rome in two days. But, it does keep me saying, I'll just have to go back.
After that, I fled from the massive crowd and met up with my friend Stephanie who just happened to be in Rome with her mom and sister! We enjoyed catching up over pizza and wine.
I then visited the Pantheon. 
 I felt very existential in Rome. I couldn't help but think of how many times the sun has shown through the domed ceiling of the Pantheon and how it will continue to shift its rays day in, day out.




 Where I planned to go for dinner was closed, so I ended up down the street at Civico 4. I've gotten quite used to eating by myself while traveling alone. At first, it was painfully awkward and I hated feeling like I needed to check my phone or read a book. Like I couldn't just sit by myself and enjoy good food and drink. I suppose I stood out, being alone, since a large party of Italians sitting next to me invited me to join their table. Most of them grew up in Rome and went to college together. Others worked together. They tried to teach me some Italian and I just tried to remember all their names. 
 I think the reason their kindness meant so much to me is because I can't imagine being in New York and doing something like that. To see someone eating dinner alone and invite them to join me and my friends. When in Rome, make Roman friends.
 My last day I walked to the Colosseum for a guided tour.
I learned that it took eight years to build and is also known as the Flavian Amphitheater. It's a myth that the emperor decided which gladiator lived or died with a thumbs up or down. And gladiators only fought to the death on very special occasions. 



After that I ran, literally, to Piazza di Spagna. It's one of the most famous squares in Rome and there is a lovely view of the city from the top of the steps. 

After that I hurried back toward my hostel to grab my things and catch the train to Ancona on the east coast of Italy. From there I caught a ferry to Split, Croatia. More on that coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment