Monday, March 10, 2014

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination

Back in January I took a long weekend trip to Valencia with my friend Michelle. Blogging about this is bittersweet. The trip and the weather were amazing, but last week Michelle moved back to the United States. She was my closest friend here in Madrid and I already miss her a lot. You'd think after eight years in New York, one of the most transient cities in the world, I'd be used to people coming in and out of my life. But I'm not. I want my friends to be my friends forever and I don't think that feeling will ever change. Sometimes I sound like I'm still twelve years old. 

One reason the trip was so amazing was that the hostel we stayed at was across the street from the Central Market. The building is beautiful and the market is huge! There was so much fresh produce and every morning we got fruit for breakfast and a snack for later. 
 We also had horchata and fartons. Yes, there is a cold, milky beverage made from almonds, tiger nuts, or rice that is served with sweet bread called fartons. It was pretty delicious, but I still prefer chocolate con churros.
 After the market we walked around and headed toward the Museum of Arts & Siences.
 On our way we stumbled upon this awesome playground! And yes we did go down that slide. 
 Here is the Opera House. Unfortunately part of it was under construction so I didn't take a picture of the entire building. 
 I loved the architecture of the Opera House, Museum of Arts & Science, and the Aquarium. It stands in contrast to the rest of the city which makes it that much more striking. 
 While we were on our way to the aquarium, we noticed people standing around with cameras. Someone told us that George Clooney was filming a movie at the Museum. I was a little miffed rather than starstruck because part of the museum was closed. And there was scaffolding and green screens everywhere. Anyway, I think the jellyfish were my favorite at the aquarium. To me they're beautiful, weird, and terrifying at the same time.
 Michelle and I spent a lot of time taking silhouette pictures at the Museum of Arts & Science.
 Again, the architecture! I know, I'm nerding out Ted Mosby style.
 This was another favorite exhibit. Footage of planets and outer space are displayed on the wall, floor, and ceiling.
 And then I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in a while. 
 Then we headed back to the hostel for a bit before we went out to dinner. Of course we had Valencian paella, served with chicken and beans. Apparently paella originated in Valencia and is considered a regional dish by Spaniards. But, you can pretty much order paella in any city in Spain because tourists consider it a national dish.
 The next day Michelle and I grabbed a few snacks at the Central Market before we went to rent bikes.
 We rented bikes near the beach and spent the day exploring.
 Some of you may or may not know, but I take bike riding safety very seriously. It's probably because I had a concussion when riding a bike without a helmet when I was five. 
 We stopped here for lunch and tried a little bit of everything.
 I also definitely played Beyonce from my iPhone while we rode along the beach. 
 We rode back into the city for a while before we had to return our bikes.
 For dinner we went to Carousel, which was down the street from our hostel. The food was amazing, probably the best meal I had while in Valencia. 
 The next day we decided to go to Ubik Cafe near the train station before we headed back to Madrid.
 When we arrived, the place was empty, but soon the bookstore/cafe was jam packed! Everyone was there to enjoy a little Sunday afternoon jazz concert. I felt like we were in a movie. Everything was perfect and I kept telling Michelle, "I'm just so happy right now."
 When I left New York last August, two friends gave me letters that I saved to open when I felt really homesick. When I finally opened a letter from Kate, she included this poem:

Wild Geese 

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
     love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting-
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things. 

Mary Oliver

1 comment:

  1. looks like a perfect trip. I hope Barcelona can live up!

    ReplyDelete